FYI

My NEW blog address is
bj-sweetnothings.blogspot.com

and I have a link to where you can receive
SWEET NOTHINGS posts in your EMAIL ACCOUNT.

Please go to the NEW BLOG.
thanks, bj

Friday, February 8, 2008

HANDWORK

A big welcome to a new blogger.....RUTH at WHISPERING OAKS COTTAGE, listed on my sidebar blog roll. She is the one that has the great house I posted about several weeks ago. I didn't know that she was planning on doing her own blog but I am so delighted that she did. She has so much talent and her blog already looks delightful. Pls. stop by to see her...you'll be thrilled you did.
******************************************************************

MARY at LITTLE RED HOUSE asked, awhile back, if anyone did handwork and I thought I would show a little of mine and my mother's. Mom was very good at it and it came so easy for her. I, on the other hand, have to really WORK at it as handwork or sewing DOES NOT come easily to me. I have to fight it every step of the way and, needless to say, I really don't enjoy it. By the time I am finished with a project, my hair is standing on ends and I have deeper frown lines between my eyes, and sweet hubby says I growl.

My mother did this little, comical needlepoint picture for me. On the back, she wrote "Everyone needs a few mice in their kitchen". She was a cutie ! I love this so much....the little mice make me smile. And, right now, they are making me miss her very much.....



She also did this one with the 6 little roadrunners. Those were some of her favorite birds and when she was resting and recovering from heart surgery once, I bought this little crewel embroidery kit for her to work on. She recovered nicely from the surgery and lived 10 more years! The little roadrunner piece reminds me of her every day.....



This cross-stitch sampler belongs to my daughter and I didn't get a good picture of it...now I can't remember what it says....... It was also done by her grandmother. (I'm not sure if my pics enlarge when clicked on or not!?) See the 3 little nuns holding a musical instrument. It is a music box that belonged to my mother. Beautiful Daughter has listened to it from the time she was born til right now. Her Grandmother gave it to BD long before she passed away.


I think I have shared this cute and silly cow with you before...Mom did this on the back of a shirt of mine. Years later, I cut it out and framed it..... as you might guess, my mom had such a precious sense of humor....


This is a cross stitch that I did for Beautiful Daughter's wedding shower...It says
"BREAKFAST, LUNCH, DINNER
OR JUST A CUP OF TEA,
SERVED IN THE KITCHEN,
SEEMS MORE FRIENDLY".

I am honored that she has it hanging in her beautiful breakfast area.


This Victorian couple, done in needlepoint, is the only needlepoint I have ever done. It took forever and ever and ever and ever........My patience is not my strong suite, by a long shot! I like to start something and get it finished by nightfall!! Haha...well, it's nearly that bad!
Would you show us some of YOUR handwork?

HAPPY DAY!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

they are all so pretty and I know the things done by your mom will hold a place in your heart forever. I like you thought at one point I wanted to sit like the sweet ladies do and stitch. Honey I was not sweet when I got started and cussed that mess. It just isn't for me. I like working with larger items=) so i'll admire others.
Have a blessed day.

Rosie's Whimsy said...

What wonderful treasures. I do especially love the roadrunners all in a row. What talented ladies! ((hugs)) Rosie

Anonymous said...

How nice that you have so many treasures made by your mother BJ. I, like you, have no patience for that sort of thing, but wish I did! I like the chef with the chalkboard too, it would be perfect for my kitchen!
I'm glad you're doing well BJ, so glad your surgeries are over!
hugs
PJ

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet that you have things from your mother that brings back many wonderful memories. I love crafts like that because we can picture the hands that have made it.

Makes me want to get my cross stitch things out !!!!

Karen H. said...

Good Morning BJ,
I do hope you are feeling better today and that each day finds you doing better. All of the Handwork your Mother did is so beautiful. "THANK YOU" for sharing it with us. I have tried doing that before, but let's say that I didn't finish it because I would get mad. LOL. I have done a few a long time ago as gifts, so I don't have any pictures of what I did back then. I do have a project that I started on about 15 years ago. It is a peach and green color cross-stitch blocks that I was going to make a quilt out of. Needless to say, it's still not done. LOL. Maybe one of these days, I'll get in the mood and start on it again. I could never do the counted cross-stitch tho. I had to have the one with the prints on it. I am still doing good. Since my DH is at home, I feel the need to spend my time with him. Hopefully next week things will get back to normal and I'll start my regular posting again. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday evening while waiting for Lost to come on I picked up my embroidery pillow that I've been working on, on and off for a year now...I didn't used to be this slow...LOL! It was very relaxing after my stressful week!

Loved all the pretty work you featured here...especially the "kitchen" tea quote one...I would love to find that pattern!

Have a great day!

BittersweetPunkin said...

BJ..all your things are lovely...the roadrunners are my favorite!
Hugs,
Robin

Tammy said...

Thank you so much for visiting me, because it is no nice to meet you!
I enjoyed scrolling through your posts...what a beautiful blog!

These are such lovely pieces of handiwork done by both you and your mom! Handiwork is something neither my mom nor I have ever really done, so I am in awe of those that can make such incredible things!

I have you bookmarked now...
Blessings!
~Tammy
(Looks like I'm the third Tammy here!) ;)

Tammy said...

P.S...Hope you continue to feel better after your surgery!

And I see from your profile you love Jimmy Stewart movies...he's my all-time favorite actor! :)

PAT said...

What wonderful memories of your mother. She did beautiful work and so do you!

I used to embroider, crochet and do counted cross stitch. Haven't done any in years. I have a counted cross stitch house at the lake, my oldest daughter did. She still does that kind of handwork and crochets. She's also quilting, now. My hands don't work as well as they used to!

Pat

Betty said...

I loved seeing the handwork done by your Mom and you. Very pretty. I used to like to cross stitch, but I haven't done any of that in a long time. Right now I'm learning to crochet and posted a towel on my blog today for Show and Tell. I hope you can visit me if you have time.

By the way, have you fully recovered from your surgery?

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Hello, Bj,
I was just wondering is it just my computer or are my pictures gone and everyone elses? I hope it's not just me!!! I'm not good at fixing little problems that pop up.
Have a blessed day. As soon as my photos come up I will go to Whispering oaks and look at her blog.
Have a blessed day
ginger

Ruey said...

Hi BJ!!!
I am so humbled that you welcomed little old ME on your blog..that was so sweet of you! Thank you so much..what a beautiful welcome. I LOVE your blog too!
I am soooo looking forward to sharing more time with you and visiting your blog. How's the rooster search been?? Haha...just some RMS humor, dear friend. I have been so busy working on my blog that I never got to go over to RMS to tell anyone...so sorry!
I've missed you and hope to do more catching up.xxxoo Ruth
p.s.- EVERYTIME I see a rooster when I am in Home Goods, I think of you and smile!

Sandi McBride said...

Yes Jean, yours do enlarge..."Happy is the house that shelters a friend." I don't think we ever stop missing our mothers...I miss mine every day. I've been writing about her more now that I can do it without getting the weepies. Your mother's needle work is exquisite. How lucky you are to have those physical memories of her...I too had the same luck...hugs
Sandi

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I just love all of the handwork your mother did! And I adore her sense of humor! And the Victorian Couple you did is wonderful!

I don't do handwork. I would probably have to kill someone if I tried....lol I really admire people who do.
Hugs,
Penny

Rhondi said...

Hi BJ You have lots of lovely needlework. How nice to have ones made by your mom too! Hope you have a great weekend. Rhondi xo

CIELO said...

They are all so pretty... what talented ladies....

Have a happy weekend

Cielo

Anita said...

So pretty!
I have a cross stitch that my mother made for me that, although it's stained from water than came through the ruins of our roof and ceiling after the tornado, I did manage to save... I love handwork, but cross stitch isn't my favorite! I love hand sewing, too. I've made clothes before all by hand... and I used to make those heirloom pillowcase dolls by hand.

I was trying to figure out the other day why I don't have any free time like I used to... then it hit me, "DUH!" Since I homeschool now, there isn't all that time I used to have when the kids were in school! :)

Mary said...

BJ,

All of your mother's needlepoint is beautiful. I especially like the mice. I wouldn't mind having those kind of mice in my kitchen but not the real ones.

You did a great job on the victorian couple. They're beautiful.

Please drop over to my blog and enter my Easter giveaway.

Blessings for a great weekend.
Mary

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work...lovely!

Cottage Contessa said...

These are very beautiful BJ, and something to be treasured for generations to come! I would like to get into needle work, actually I just bought a book on it, so here's hoping!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Unknown said...

Your house is a true treasure chest. So many beautiful things. It is nice when you have memories on every corner, it just makes you smile all day!
Love, Suzy

Meggie said...

Your hanwork pieces and your Mom's, too, are absolutely lovely. What wonderful treasures and memories.

Kathleen Grace said...

What lovely things you and your mother made! Things made by hand just have a special bit of love that others dont. You can almost see the hours and thoughts behind them:>)