FYI

My NEW blog address is
bj-sweetnothings.blogspot.com

and I have a link to where you can receive
SWEET NOTHINGS posts in your EMAIL ACCOUNT.

Please go to the NEW BLOG.
thanks, bj

Thursday, May 3, 2012

~ Lose 10 lbs. in 7 days....


Mr. Sweet and I want to jump-start the weight loss so after 
looking around on THE NET,
I found this soup diet that one of our friends tried a few years back....
with GREAT SUCCESS, I might add.

Cabbage Soup Recipe

  • 6 large green onions (also called “spring” onions)
  • 2 green peppers
  • 1 or 2 cans of tomatoes (diced or whole)
  • 3 carrots
  • 1 container (10 oz. or so) mushrooms
  • 1 bunch of celery
  • half a head of cabbage
  • 1 package spice only soup mix (In the US, Liptons is a good choice)
  • 1 or 2 cubes of bouillon (optional)
  • 1 48oz can Low Sodium V8 juice (optional)
  • Season to taste with pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder, etc. (Little to NO SALT!)
Directions:
Slice green onions, put in a pot on medium heat and start to sauté with cooking spray. Do this until the onions are whiter/clearer in color (about 4-6 minutes).
Cut green pepper stem end off, then cut pepper in half to take out the seeds and membrane. Cut the green pepper into bite size pieces and add to pot.
Take the outer leafs layers off the cabbage, cut into bite size pieces, add to pot.
Clean carrots, mushrooms, and celery, cut into bite size pieces and toss them in. Add tomatoes now, too.
If you would like a spicy soup, add a small amount of curry or cayenne pepper now.
For seasonings, you can use a spice soup packet of your choice (no noodles!) or use beef or chicken bouillon cubes. These cubes are optional, and you can add spices you like instead (make sure not to add much salt, if any at all).
Use about 12 cups of water (or 8 cups and the 48 oz of Low Sodium V8 juice), cover and put heat on low. Let soup simmer for a long time – about 2 hours or until vegetables are tender.

I LOVE the FIRE ROASTED diced tomatoes so I went with 2 cans.
Although not suitable for long-term weight loss, the Cabbage Soup Diet is a low-fat, high-fiber diet that will help you get into shape fast before you embark on a more moderate long-term eating plan.
The whole thing is basically FRESH VEGGIES
and how can you go wrong with those ?

Pros and Cons of the Cabbage Soup Diet

Pros: You’ll lose weight fast, and for the week, you can eat as much of the soup as you want. Although the diet is only for seven days (and shouldn’t be followed for longer), it provides a great “kick-start” for a more moderate diet.
 Cons: Some people find the soup bland. Others report feeling light-headed, weak, and have suffered from decreased concentration (although I hear that many people think the diet is worth the effort anyway, since they lose so much weight!).
NOW...
here I can add another CON....
A bowl of this soup for BREAKFAST is going to take some getting used to.
BUT....you eat this soup 3 times a day and even for snacks.
I KNOW..! !
we are gonna get soooo sick of it but remember....
it's only for SEVEN (7) DAYS.
 Mr. Sweet and I love fresh veggies, just like you do.
This should not be TOO hard to eat for 7 days.

7 KEYS to Success

  1. Follow the diet to the letter!
  2. Drink at least 4 glasses of water per day (or more!).
  3. Remember – it is only seven days long!
  4. Complement the diet with a quality daily multi-vitamin.
  5. Print information from this site and refer to it daily (especially the 7 Day Plan!).
  6. Eat plenty of soup – the more you eat, the more you should lose! Do not try to starve yourself or you’ll probably cheat (this is what we don’t want).
  7. Add different spices to liven up the soup and add variety and make it taste better. 
That's Lipton Soup Mix sprinkled on the top.....
this is gonna give some good flavors to this BIG ole  pot of soup.


I also add Flavor Boost ......

a tiny bit of salt, a LOT of black pepper, a little Garlic Powder...You can add any seasonings that you like.

All I can think of when I look at this pot of Veggie Soup is.......
 Cornbread just GOES with Soup like
Jelly and Peanut Butter
Bacon and Eggs
Sonny and Cher.......

Put the lid on and let it simmer in your crock pot all day long.

Mr. Sweet just came thru and said,
 "That soup is smelling sooo good already; when is
it gonna be done ?
and I said, 
"For supper tonight...and I hope you really enjoy it cause
we are so gonna be SICK of it after eating it for 
EVERY SINGLE MEAL
for a solid WEEK."
One thing about it....

I won't have to WONDER
what to make for our meals for a whole week.

WOO  HOO

Lots of love from
THE JOLLY GREEN BLOGGER,
drowning in VEGGIES
forever and ever.......Amen.
xoxo bj

Foodie Friday
Tickled Pink
Feathered Nest
Home Sweet Home
Inspiration Friday
Favorite things Friday  

38 comments:

Debbie said...

I've made this and done this diet. Is this a good time to warn you that the nickname for this soup is, um... poop soup?

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"YUMMY"! Soup sounds SO GOOD right now. We're have a period of rainy dreary weather here in New England! Baby It's cold outside! I actually used my DOWN PARKA to go get the mail,hehe...OKAY, I'm not going to complain because the gardens are HAPPY and the HOT HOT summer will be here soon...
Hope the diet isn't keeping that beautiful smile off your face!
Big SUPPORT Hugs to Both of you!!!
Donna

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I'll be interested in knowing how this works for you! I might have to try something in June to get a diet started. hugs, Linda

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

Good luck, Beeeej! I will try this soup for one of our meals. Looks yummy and we are vegetarians, so I can tweek it a little and it will be a good meal for us!
xoxo

NanaDiana said...

Oh- That is the old WW recipe and I can't tell you how many times I used that off and on over the years. It does work but you WILL be sick of it by the time your week is up!

I also added baby spinach leaves to my own recipe. xo Diana

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

When I use to work a friend of mine was always on this diet. She would lose and gain back. Lose and gain back. She didn't really need to lose anyway.

Blondie's Journal said...

The soup looks delicious...I have made it before and stayed on it for 3 days max. It really made me crave meat! Let us know how you do!

XO,
Jane

Kathleen said...

Oy! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi BJness. I've done this diet before and ate the soup. I did really like the soup but did get tired of eating it for a week! Lost some weight too.
You may want to buy some Beano - just saying! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Vee said...

I tried it once. It worked. That's the best thing I can say about it. All the best!

Stacey said...

Sounds delicious but not for days. I'm sure it works!

Jojo said...

I dieted on this soup so many times in the past but had forgotten it! Thank you...the time has come.......

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Diet or not... this soup looks great!

Barbara F. said...

I always enjoyed this soup when I made it, but I don't think I lasted the full 7 days! I love corn bread or biscuits with soup, but that isn't helpful with the diet. xo (P.S. I think you look beautiful.)

â„łartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Bj I've made this soup before. I love it!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

You're so funny, BJ! You always make me smile. My Mom and I did this diet sooo many years ago. It's a tasty soup, but we didnt make it to 7 days. Good luck to you and your dear hubby...way to go!

Sarah said...

BJ, I've never tried the cabbage soup diet, but you make it sound delicious. I love cabbage soup and would love to drop some pounds. Perhaps I should follow your lead. Good luck! ~ Sarah

doodles n daydreams said...

I thought this sounded good till you said 7 days - oh dear, I don't think I could stick at it :( But it might make a nice change occassionally for a winter tea, maybe, with hot toast or rolls. Our winter is rapidly approaching.

Sweet Tea said...

I hope you're planning to give us a day-to-day report as you go along. Good luck!

Susy said...

Looks delish ~ think I'll try it this weekend (but not for breakfast). Love crockpot anything, and this one is healthy! (:

Lynn said...

Sure looks like a tasty and healthy soup:@)

jeanne said...

Good morning bj, I am amazed at my timing to visit you at last. I am so sorry I haven't been to see you lately. I haven't even looked at my computer for two days. My cousin has been here for three weeks and my life just stopped. They left on Monday. Just a little perspective...She does not do computers. Yikes. Anyway, I'm back.

Dieting is a big subject here right now. Your post really got my attention. You bet I will make this soup and love it. I LOVE veggies more that anything. This is right up my alley. Good luck with your diet. We will have to report our success. Big smile here.

Love you much,
Jeanne

PS: My cousin and I made muffins a LOT and the papers were a big hit with her. That's why I need to diet. :)

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Good luck with the diet. I can see why it would work but I know it's not for me.

Still, I'm keeping that recipe for a brisk spring or fall evening one day.

thanks for sharing

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi bj! Oh, dear...It's so yummy looking and yes, you are sure to lose some unwanted pounds. My sweet hubby and I went on the Cabbage Soup Diet, years ago. Unfortunately, to this day...I can't get my husband to eat a another spoonful of it! I wish you well, my sweet friend!
Blessings,
Carolynn

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

I tried this years ago - and the only weight I lost was going to the bathroom quite a few times a day!! Good luck to you - can't wait to hear how you do

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I've used it in the past and it works. Hooray for you for printing it again as I had lost it.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

OH HON, I am giggling. I take it that the South Beach Diet didn't work, last week?

Tell us! Keep us posted! But don't either of you keel over in a faint now!

Oh and Mr. Sweet better not use any power tools this week! Better not use ANY tools, this week!

Let's see.... You have a laptop. So you can blog, while in the "Lady's Room" too. Which is good, because you'll probably be in the "Lady's Room" a lot this week.

OK. I'll go away now, and stop *pickin' on* you. ,-)

Lotsa' hugsssssssssssssssss...

"No great thing is created suddenly."
~Epictetus

Unknown said...

I do similar soup that has lean hamburger in it to make it more high protein/low carb friendly :)

Your soup looks Y-U-M-M-Y!!

Blessings!
Gail

Sonny G said...

I used this to kick start myself 3 years ago. I left off the carrots and v8/tomato juice and added low sodium beef broth instead.
I had a minute muffin/flax for breakfast and the soup for all other meals and no fat greek yogurt for a daily treat. Of course I broke the rules and stayed on it 14 days lol.. I did loose 17 lbs and being totally honest I felt the best I had in many years. Body was active with no adverse effects- mind was clear- slept well and my skin was clear and had a pretty pink tone.
Just wanted to share my experience with you.
best of luck~! Hoping ya'll love it even 1/2 as much as I did.

Angie in SoCal said...

Gail has a good suggestion. You could try it for the second week and garner some more weight loss.

Theresa said...

It is yummy. I need cornbread with soup too:). Enjoy, don't get too skinny!!!! Hugs

Holly Lefevre said...

You gave me a huge chuckle. I have this recipe..and I actually LOVE this soup...but I always want some sourdough bread or something to go with it...kind of defeats the purpose!

Lisa Sall - Sall's Country Life said...

This sounds like a great plan for me! I get so tired of planning meals every day! Mr. Sall might be on his own next week! All those "fresh" veggies, a great recipe and weight loss...I'd love it if you shared with us for Farm Fresh Friday today!! Have a great day and hope you're enjoying the soup!!

Molly said...

Marti - that looks really delicious. I love veggies. We grow a lot of our own so a big saving on the grocery bill as well. Don't think I could eat it for breakfast or everyday for seven days but a great recipe to incorporate with the rest of the diet.

Carla said...

I remember this soup from the Dolly Parton Diet. 1st day was like vegetables only, 2nd day fruit and I forget the rest but this soup was in there somewhere. I really liked the soup. Maybe I'll have to try it again to just start the weight lost. I'm not so sure about the breakfast part though.

Chenille Cottage said...

It's me again, bj...How's it going? I am chuckling as I remember the name my husband dubbed the veggie soup..."Colon Blow Chowder".
I hope you and your sweet husband are happily inching down on the scales as the days pass!
Blessings,
Carolynn. x x x

Shay said...

Mr. P did a version of this diet before our wedding. It really does work . It gives you the motivation you need to eat more healthily after you come off eating soup for what feels like forever....

You go girl!

Baa-Me Kniits said...

My goodness that sounds hard, hope you are hanging in there! Are you still interested in Lucy Rabbit visiting you in Texas? She is in California at the moment and almost ready to move on :-)