FYI

My NEW blog address is
bj-sweetnothings.blogspot.com

and I have a link to where you can receive
SWEET NOTHINGS posts in your EMAIL ACCOUNT.

Please go to the NEW BLOG.
thanks, bj

Thursday, October 11, 2012

AUTUMN SUNSHINE and a pie


Hi, Ya'll ...HAPPY OCTOBER
We have had some rain that has been sooo good. I don't know how much in INCHES...maybe one full one.... but it sure has helped every one's feelings around here. We all just FEEL better when it rains. It never fails to put me in the BAKING MOOD.




SUNFLOWERS, real or faux,
always remind me of AUTUMN SUNSHINE......
 Of all the wonderful treats MR. SWEET'S MOM
made, I remember her best for her amazing
COCONUT CREME PIE...


1960......the year Mr. Sweet and I married....AWWWWW...:)

 ALL of the family ....kids....grownups.....would almost fight for that very last piece....and sometimes,

GRANDMA CONKLIN would sit back, grinning all over the place and BRING OUT ANOTHER PIE.
OOO, were we all happy.  She KNEW how much we all loved her pies...and especially her
COCONUT CREME.


I can't tell you how happy I am to have had enuf SENSE about my silly self
to write down her recipe.
She never really HAD  a recipe.....it was all in her head.
I would say, "Grandma, tell me how to make your Coconut Creme Pie..."
and she would stutter and stammer and finally say, "Well, you add a little flour and..."
and I'd say, "WAIT...HOLD IT...HOW MUCH FLOUR?"
"Well", she'd say, grinning...."about 3 T. full with just enuf milk to make a paste."
and she would go on from there, FINALLY telling me the AMOUNTS to use instead
of "a little of this" and "a little of that".
 ...every time I make one, I blow her a kiss and tell her how 
glad I am to be making HER pie.
 Some times I make my own crust.....
some times I use the
PILLSBURY PIE CRUST
which, by the way, is pretty great.
I do, however prefer the homemade.

I also want to tell you that I used the IDEAL
sugar substitute in this pie and
YOU CAN NOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE.
OOO,
I am sooo sold on this stuff.
I have discovered that you should add a tad more substitute than the recipe calls for sugar.
I LOVE knowing there's no REAL SUGAR in my pies now.....


Just this one fact alone makes it so I CAN HAVE TWO PIECES. :)))
AT ONE TIME !!
hahaa...daughter cautions us that just because there's no sugar, there's still calories..
bummer....
OK....let's just CUT this MASTERPIECE...:))
It's sooo good.
I am so thankful to GRANDMA CONKLIN for learning to make this so good and then passing that "know how"  right on down.
"Stacy, keep this recipe FOREVER... some day, your kids and David's kids might LOVE to know how to make HER pie."

Here's the awesome thing about this pie recipe......you can make it and use
BANANAS instead of COCONUT..and have yourself a
BANANA CREME PIE.
You can add cocoa to it (maybe with a little extra sugar sub) for a nice CHOCOLATE CREME....
and...
I have made it many times with just the vanilla filling and it is awesome that way. I add another bit of Vanilla flavoring to it.....goood stuff.
 ...just a pretty little FAUX flower that has absolutely NOTHING whatsoever
to do with making a good COCONUT CREME PIE...
it's always...ALWAYS...neat to have something PRETTY near by while you eat,
I think. :)
3 tablespoons of flour
a bit of milk....add this to a pan and mix well to create a paste
(this will help your pie creme to thicken)
3/4 to 1 cup of sugar (remember, i used IDEAL sugar sub)
3 egg yolks, beaten and added to milk, flour, sugar mixture after it gets warm
1 can coconut...be sure to save enuf to sprinkle over your meringue
2 cups milk
Stir constantly while cooking over medium heat. 
It will stick and burn so watch it very closely.
Once it thickens, remove from heat, add a capful of vanilla.(you can dab a little behind your ears, like my Aunt Lillian did, if you want too.)
Pour into baked pie crust and put in 400 oven until the meringue is golden brown.
 ♥ ♥ ♥
While the pie is cooking, make a great pot of DUNKIN DONUTS COFFEE...
a cup of good coffee, a slice of mouthwatering pie and you will 
have a CIRCUS IN YOUR MOUTH.
♥ ♥ ♥
MERCY....IT'S GOOD.
"I hope my PINK nose will remind everyone that
OCTOBER IS BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH...."
Dear friend, PLEASE make an appointment today for your
yearly mammogram. I love you.
xoxo bj

34 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, would my "chef" be over the moon if I made one of these for him. This is his favorite! ;-)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wish I had a slice right now.

Vee said...

Oh it sure looks good and, because I'm listening to the debate just now, I could use a piece. You were very smart to get the recipe.

Beth said...

I love coconut cream pie. Thank you for the recipe. The pie looks delicious.

Linda said...

WOW!! What an awesome post!! Every day I can't wait to get a minute to myself so I can hop over to your place and see what you're up to! Is that your handwriting in the spiral cookbook? I love handwritten recipes!

That pie looks as amazing as you say it tastes!!

Cranberry Morning said...

Coconut Creme pie has never been among my favorite, but that photo of the slice of pie sitting on the plate is making me want to give it another try! Got any left? I'm on my way.

Love Of Quilts said...

BOY DOES THIS PIE LOOK GOOD.THANKS FOR THE RECIPE.

Lynn said...

That pie sure looks great, glad you saved the family recipe! I have a strong cuppa coffee, would love a piece for breakfast:@)

Teresa said...

"No heirloom of humankind captures the past as do art and language."

Theodore Bikel


Cooking is an art. Done with such Love and Care it's also a Blessing. So thankful you shared this lovely story with us... and that you wrote the recipe. You need to write that in a some lovely book to your grandchildren.

Though the scientists on them might shurug it off like Grandma Conklin did - because let's face it, our forefathers were the great scientists - no scales, no termometers, no special tips and they conquered wilderness and still took time to bake a pie ahahah - but I'm sure in many years they'll be digging that book to eternize the sweetness of the pie and of Family and Ties.
I'm so grateful you shared so much more than a recipe and yummy pictures - you showed us a Blessing.
Be Blessed,
Teresa

Always Nesting said...

Your photos are amazing. Makes me want to jump right in!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Love all your photos!!! Visiting your blog, is like picking up a great magazine. You do photo shoots, not just blog entries!!!

And you are having so much fun, with changing your Halloween Header. Love it!!!

Playing with our blog is half the fun, of being in "Pretty Blog Land," is it not? How I wish all bloggers would try it. More. Even once. They would be hooked!

I can't do the special Header looks which you can do. But I still have fun with my Blog Look. :-))))))

-clapping hands- -happy time-

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo... ,-)

"Auntie"

Madeline's Album said...

Ok another great post and recipe. Your photos are great, the pie looks delicious. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Debbie said...

That happens to be one of my very favorite kinds of pie, and I admit to having never made one myself. I just mooch off the talent of my mom. I need try to make this recipe.

Anonymous said...

BJ you've done it now!...thanks for sharing Grandma's recipe,I've got to "pin" to my favorite recipe "copycat" board,hope you don't mind.
Loving these photo's, makes me want to get in the kitchen and cook up some pie's.
Hey btw glad yall got some rain,I told you to send some to southeast Georgia,I'll be waiting!
hugs thru the Loblolly pines
Jo
LoblollyLane

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

BJ,
This pie looks scrumptious. I love a good slice of Coconut pie, thanks for sharing the recipe. Will try it out Thanksgiving pie making day.

LinsFood said...

Oh my word, this is one yummy looking pie! I love all things coconut and I love the rain! over from Coffee Friday! xx

Audrey said...

Yum ... I love coconut cream pie. You make it look even more delicious with your pretty pictures. I just got a new built-in oven; so maybe I can break it in with a good tasting pie.
Hope you get some rain
Hugs,
Audrey Z.
http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/
Timeless Treasures

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

A piece would be good right now with a cup of tea! It is a chilly 48 degrees here!
I am not good at making pies and I wish I were as I like pies better than cakes....I should have paid attention to one of my grandmothers as her pies were to die for and like yours, she would often have a second one.
Yummy post!
♥ Jil

SmilingSally said...

Did you know that coconut creme pie is my very favorite? It is!

Happy Pink Saturday, BJ.

Kathleen Grace said...

Mmmmm, pass me a piece of that pie!

Michelle said...

Looks incredible! Visiting from Paloma's:)
Michelle

Emily said...

Oh my goodness bj, this post makes me crazy for coconut cream pie! And, you know I share your love of DD's coffee!!! Beautiful post.....

Emily
The French Hutch

Beth said...

Your photos are stunning, and your pie looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Marie Arden said...

Thanks for the pie recipe I love this pie but have never made one. I've done lemon just not coconut cream.
Merci for sharing

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh wow, I want your pie right this minute!! I'm looking at food blogs right now and I'm so hungry, caz I'm trying not to eat much at dinner time, but more at lunch and even breakfast, but it's getting HARD!! I was 8 years old when you got married, how wonderful, you are happy for so long. Hope we live together for ever too. We were married in '75. Enjoy the weekend, sweet lady.
FABBY

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Coconut pie is just about my favorite and yours looks mighty good. A good cup of coffee with it and I'd be in "hog's heaven."

Happy weekend!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Oh my goodness, B.J., that looks and sounds delicious! Could you send me a slice? LOL!!!

Chenille Cottage said...

Wht a purrrfect little pal...Hello sweet kitty!
Saturday Smiles,
Carolynn >^^<

Jeanne, backyard neighbor said...

Hey bj, I am missing you a lot. What have you been up too with your awesome family?

I love it when you share your family tried and true recipes. This pie is beautiful and I know it tastes good.

Happy weekend my sister friend.
Love, Jeanne

Warm Heart Bears said...

You have shared a wonderful pie from my childhood. Coconut cream was and still is my favorite! Thank you for bringing back such lovely memories! New follower from Pink Saturday

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Good grief, but that looks and sounds delicious! You are the Martha Steward of blogging..no doubt about it!!
PH hates for me to have sweets in the house as he is always watching his weight...but I caved and made choc. chip cookies...(they're gone as of tonight) and now I have the itch to make this pie. :) I'm a gonna blame it all on you, bj! LOL

dana said...

BJ. . .Coconut cream pie is at the TOP of my favorite kind of pies list. . .and I am a pie lover from waaaay back!! Thank you for sharing that recipe and the hint about the sugar substitute. That's a new one to me and I will check it out. .. cuz I want to have two pieces, too!

We've had lots of rain in MO over the last two days. . .and we could use more.

Hope all is well with you! Sorry I've been such a bad blog visiter over the last few months. There's been a lot of cruddy stuff going on here. . .and when that's not happening, I've been doing my fall sales so my time is limited.

Have a great Sunday! L, Dana

Beverly said...

Happy Pink Saturday, my sweet friend.

I just have to say ... oh, girl. Now you are talking. I do love me a slice of Coconut Cream Pie. You've go me drooling now.

The Charm of Home said...

Oh yum! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
Sherry