FYI

My NEW blog address is
bj-sweetnothings.blogspot.com

and I have a link to where you can receive
SWEET NOTHINGS posts in your EMAIL ACCOUNT.

Please go to the NEW BLOG.
thanks, bj

Monday, May 28, 2012

~ BLESSED MEMORIAL DAY ~

Revisiting a previous MEMORIAL DAY post....
a little newness added here and there...

♫♪♪...my heart beats true for the Red White and Blue......♪♫♫


MEMORIAL DAY...MAY 28, 2012
I watched the flag pass by one day.
It fluttered in the breeze.
A young Marine saluted it,
and then he stood at ease.
I looked at him in uniform
So young, so tall, so proud,
He'd stand out in any crowd.
I thought how many men like him
Had fallen through the years.
How many died on foreign soil?
How many mothers' tears?
How many pilots' planes shot down?
How many died at sea?
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?
No, freedom isn't free.
- Kelly Strong
The grand kids LOVE going on picnics..
so do I !
Sometimes...we do picnics INSIDE...
especially when the wind is blowing so hard.....
or it's too HOT outside to enjoy eating.

Here is my version of the RED, WHITE and BLUE for this year's MEMORIAL DAY luncheon.

There's my vintage BLUE PICNIC BASKET...
I bought it so long ago at a great GARAGE SALE
and a few years back, came REALLY close to painting it RED.
My youngest grand, DEEDS,
said, "O, NO...MEMAW...I love it BLUE !"
so, OF COURSE, it IS and will always BE
this perfect shade of BLUE.....
I'm using my GREAT
RED and WHITE ( with a tiny little line of the best YELLOW)
tablecloth that my good blogging sister friend, JEANNE, over
sent to me in a LOVE PACKAGE a couple years ago.
Thanks again, Jeanne...I do love it a lot.
There's those RED POLKA DOT dishes I love...
TINA over at CHERRY HILL COTTAGE told me where
to buy these adorable plates and I ordered 12 before I could shake a stick !!
The company doesn't sell them any more but if you want some,
I bet you could GOOGLE and find some.
They are the melamine that is HARD to break...or can you even break it ??
ANYway...I use them ALL THE BLESSED TIME !!
**
" Melmac is the name for plastic dinnerware that was created with the use of melamine.
First developed in the 1940s, melamine resin is easily molded into a number of different shapes and is extremely durable. During the middle of the 20th century, Melmac dinnerware could be found in just about every home in the United States, owing to the low cost and easy care of the dishes."
The above info was taken from the net...
THESE DISHES ARE WONDERFUL !!
Especially great for grands and Memaws and Granddads on PICNICS.
:)
Just look at all this REDNESS...
is it any wonder that MOST folks in the world
LUV this color !!
I surely do.
Yellow and red....
A POWERFUL COMBO
This little tiny candle was sent to me from the SWEETEST NANCY that had SOUTHERN LADY blog.
I am not sure she is still there.... but I am checking.






SHE said she saw this little candle with my name on it and just HAD to get it and send to me.
I was TICKLED PINK when I received it in the mail.
Such a thoughtful thing to do for a blogging buddy.




This setting sure puts me in the mood for
PIMENTO CHEESE SANDWICHES
DILL PICKLES
A DOUBLE HANDFUL OF POTATO CHIPS
A BIG SLICE OF CANTALOUPE
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES AND ICE CREAM
ICED TEA, LEMONADE OR........
BLACKBERRY WINE...heh heh heh..it's 5 o'clock SOMEwhere !
AMAZING GRACE...HOW SWEET THE SOUND.....

MR. SWEET said I could have my ole PIMENTO CHEESE SANDWICH if I wanted to ...
BUT HE would rather have a GRILLED STEAK and ONIONS with POTATO SALAD...
I said " PHOOY on a sandwich...PLEZZZZZ make me a steak, too".....
and .... HE DID ..!!

Our family, like yours, will pause on this MEMORIAL DAY to offer thanks to our GOD for HIS grace and glory. We will thank our fighting men and women, past and present, from the bottom of our hearts and souls for ALL they have given .
A little thrifted wooden box in the

COLORS OF THE DAY....
BLESSINGS TO ALL...
bj

click HERE 
for my GIVEAWAY.
I will announce the winner of the 
$30.00 gift card on the 30th.
Get your comments in by midnight of the 29th.

GOOD LUCK. 

26 comments:

Donna said...

Cute, cute table, and I love the plates.

Lynn said...

Lovin' your cute polka dot plates BJ! A steak on the grill sounds pretty darn good to me too! Big thunderstorms here yesterday, hopefully we'll be able to grill out today. Happy Memorial Day:@)

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

What a cute table! I love your blue basket and melamine plates--I've had a set of rose colored ones for eons.

Beverly said...

Great post, dear BJ. You always make everything beautiful and fun, too. I like to think of you celebrating with your family.

We celebrated with our son and grandson yesterday. We had Italian Meatball Sliders (my grandson's choice). I also tried a new recipe for chocolate pie, and it was a big hit.

James Pereira said...

Hi, nice blog, pls look-up true-shapherd.blogspot.in

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful post- Nothing like a wonderful picnic with all that red, white and blue. LOVE your picnic basket and know that you will NEVER paint it after that comment.

Blessings to you and your family today- xoDiana

Madeline's Album said...

Great post BJ. I hope you and your family are having a great 3 day weekend. I am flying my flags for the memorial day weekend but I sill keep Memorial day on May 30 when it was the day of remembrance when I was growing up can't help it if I am from the old school. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Madeline's Album said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Theresa said...

Beautiful setting for this gorgeous Memorial Day! Love the music in the background:) HUGS!

Irene said...

I agree with Deeds on that vintage picnic basket. It is a great color. Love your table scape and what an awesome sign "Amazing Grace". Thanks for sharing and many Blessing to you and your family this Memorial Day.

Sarah said...

Looks like you and Mr. Sweet and the grands are ready for celebrating in style. You know I'm smiling at all this red, white, and blue. ~ Sarah

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

You set a good table bj! Love all you reds, blues and even your yellow mixed in. The food....and I'm talking steak and potato salad looks so good. Have a Great day!

Susie said...

BJ, love your table setting. Brenda over at Cozy Little House would love those dots and all the red. Smiles, Susie

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

ALL GAVE SOME...

SOME GAVE ALL...

Ricki Treleaven said...

Very festive, BJ! I hope you enjoy the holiday.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

What a sweet table. Your friend was so generous giving you the plates.
The picnic basket is perfect with your red, white and blue. Thanks for sharing your lovely post. I also want to thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. I appreciate your compliments on my blog design. I do alot of different designs to make it fun. Happy Memorial Day. Blessings, Linda

LV said...

Enjoyed your holiday tribute. Most of all, I loved the good eats. I have been having problems with leaving comments. That's why I have not visited as much. Not sure what is wrong, may have to take to computer shop.

Jeanne, backyard neighbor said...

Happy Memorial Day to you and your wonderful family bj. Your post is all about your love of America, your family and great food. I need to add your love of the most fun dishes as well. HA!

We have had a very quiet day. We were with my sisters and family this entire week helping my sister move so her son and family can move into her mountain home. It is time for her to get a smaller place on one floor. Her lovely mountain home is 3 stories. Too many stairs. We are tired but happy it is done and my sister is very happy in her smaller home. Life is good.

Our flag is flying and we remember and honor our military who gave us their all.

God Bless America
Love, Jeanne

Vee said...

A perfect kind of day celebrated with gratitude. John and I join you in going for the steak, though our potatoes were grilled in foil on the grill. Yummo.

Love seeing all your pretties, but got a bit emotional seeing "Amazing Grace" right in the middle of it all. Perfect!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

All your decor is lovely...those polka dot plates are too cute. I have a sign in my yard that says Amazing Grace....see, we really are sisters!!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi bj: I'm your newest follower and I found your comment to NanaDiana and thought we might have something in common. I, too, have had PAD, and would like to hear how it is affecting you if you don't mind talking about it and in the meantime, I have to say that steak and onions looks pretty darn good. So does your whole picnic..Happy Tuesday and I would love if you would stop by the Cottage for a visit..Judy

The French Hutch said...

A sweet tribute for our wonderful military.
You sure know how to do a wonderful picnic and the grandchildren make the day perfect. Hooray for the Red, White and Blue!
Have a great week.

~Emily
The French Hutch

Hootin Anni said...

BJ....your eye for color and design for your tablescapes never cease to astound me. Wonderfully done. As always. And your porch swing with the waving flag...beautiful.

It was a busy holiday weekend for us, so I'm very far behind in paying visits to all who have left me comments in the last three days. Thanks for stopping by and taking time to leave such a positive comment for me. Hope your week will treat you kindly!!!

Lisa Sall - Sall's Country Life said...

Hats off to a wonderful red,white and blue post BJ!! Have a great week!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Gotta love a gal who thinks it 5 o'clock somewhere!! That is the cutest table setting - and what fun to get a gift from a blogging pal!

Kelly

xinex said...

Love the barbecue, BJ! Hope you had a great Memorial Day!....Christine