FYI

My NEW blog address is
bj-sweetnothings.blogspot.com

and I have a link to where you can receive
SWEET NOTHINGS posts in your EMAIL ACCOUNT.

Please go to the NEW BLOG.
thanks, bj

Monday, February 14, 2011

SOUPS ON.....

is having HOT SOUP
over at her place...
be sure to go taste them all..
YUM #. 1
A good homemade VEGGIE soup is one of our very favorites.
You can add absolutely anything you might want and it always taste sooo good.
The main thing I ALWAYS do with my vegetable soups is use BEEF BROTH and not WATER..
MUCH more flavor.
I keep cans of the broth in my pantry all the time, just for soups.
and...when you boil a chicken for a recipe, add chicken broth to the bones and boil for a bit..
you will have WONDERFUL broth to freeze for another soup sometime.
I learned this from
She is a fabulous cook and has taught this old dog many new tricks. :))
 ....and I always....AL-WAYS cook my cornbread in a cast iron skillet...
my mama did,
her mama did.....
and my daughter does. :)
favorite soup in the whole wide entire world...
homemade
LOADED POTATO SOUP.
omygosh....

FRENCHY ONION SOUP....
homemade or a great mix at the grocery store..
A good BEEF STEW is  hard to beat on a
COLD WINTERS NIGHT...
My mom could make the BEST stew...
she used a lot of leftovers from her fridge..
and called it ICEBOX STEW...:)
The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression in the decade preceding World War II. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations, but in most countries it started in about 1929 and lasted until the late 1930s or early 1940s.[1] It was the longest, most widespread, and deepest depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.[2] The depression originated in the U.S., starting with the fall in stock prices that began around September 4, 1929 and became worldwide news with the stock market crash of October 29, 1929 (known as Black Tuesday). From there, it quickly spread to almost every country in the world.
*******************************************
With so many  out of work, there were a lot of hungry people and
SOUP KITCHENS...
SOUP LINES...
were formed all over the country.
*
Grocery stores, truck farmers and sharecropper farmers would give their older and less
attractive vegetables to the volunteers of these SOUP LINES.
They used any vegetables and meats they could get their hands on to make as
nourishing  and tasty soup as they possibly could.
Many times, this ONE BOWL OF SOUP was all these people had to eat per day.
If ever you want to see a classic, true-to-the-times movie of the
hardships this depression put on our people...our country,
THE GRAPES OF WRATH
is THE movie to watch.
*
My mother also remembered that hungry people would go into a cafe
and order a cup of HOT WATER..no charge for water.
Then, they would add KETCHUP to the hot water, to make themselves a cup of hot " tomato soup".

My eyes still tear at the very thought of the tough times our people went thru.
I am sorry for anyone that has to go hungry.
YUM # 2
BACK TO KINDER, SOFTER THINGS.....
I found this amazing and beautiful ladle at an amazing estate sale a few years back...
isn't it pretty?
I use it a lot to ladle the soup into bowls....
and smile all the time I'm doing it.
It just makes a body feel GOOD to use pretty things...
I love pretty flatware...
pretty bowls and not plastic ones...
a cloth napkin instead of paper...
it takes such a little to make yourself feel so pampared.
GOOD FOR THE SOUL, I TELL YOU!!
We love CRACKERS with soups, too...
...don't always HAVE to have cornbread...
YUM # 3

...but we sure do love our SOUTHERN cornbread..
NEVER sweet..
thin and crispy from the cast iron skillet..
LOADED in butter..
HOLY MOLEY...
YUM # 4
ANOTHER good cornbread...
HOT WATER CORNBREAD.
This is fried and so good it will make you wanna slap your pappy.
...especially good with POTATO SOUP.

This is a REAL comfort food for me.
Mom used to make this all the time and we all just about made ourselves sick on it, it was so good.
*
THIS is also a "left-over" from  the depression era...
when there was no milk...nor flour...nor eggs...
a little corn meal, salt and hot water produces a fabulous taste treat...
It was also an easy bread for cowboys, out on the trail.
Try it sometime...the cornbread..not the trail ride. :)
CREAM OF BROCCOLI with CHEESE and homemade croutons
just about brings me to my knees, it's so good...
Both Mr. Sweet and I LOVE a good
COCONUT PIE
after a meal of cornbread and homemade soup.
I use his mother's recipe and have NEVER found one better..
I'm so doggone hungry for a WHOLE pie right now, I could just spit.
YUM # 5
DOESN'T THAT LOOK GOOOOD !!!!!
♥♥♥
Linking with:
My thanks, ladies, for hosting..
and
thank YOU for stopping in today.

21 comments:

LV said...

I am drooling all over the place. How wish I had some of everything you fixed. All of it is my favorites. I love homemade anything, especially soup and pies.

Mimi said...

Yummy, Yummy!!!!!! Do you mind if I eat a slice of your delicious-looking pie before I have a bowl of soup? Really, I do wish I lived close enough to just pop in because you always have something wonderful to eat!

Deb said...

My youngest daughter always wanted soup growing up and she still prefers it over anything else. We would go to our favorite restaurant with the family and everyone would order a big meal and she would ask for their specialty soup. Do you have a recipe for that fabulous looking vegetable soup you make? It looks great. Actually everything you make always looks delicious. Hugs, Deb=^..^=x5

Prairie Scraps said...

That coconut pie looks just wonderful! My son was asking for potato soup just today, so maybe I need to try one of yours! Thanks for stopping by!

Judi said...

Hi BJ
Happy Valentine's Day!
Wow your soups look soooo very yummy...that potato soup...and the cornbread..oh yum. It has been cold and windy here today and the soups would have warmed out little tummies..mmmm.. I love your dishes too.
Hope its been a really nice day for you...
Judi

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

My grandmother told us stories about the depression. I'm thinking about writing about some of them on my blog. Off to look for your cornbread recipe.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Looks filling and appetizing.

My Ruby Tuesday, hope you had a nice valentine!

Kathy said...

Oh I love soup too. And that pie looks absolutely delicious. Such pretty table settings too.

Hootin Anni said...

Soup!!! If I had my druthers, I'd eat soup...ANY soup at least once a day. They're hearty, delicious and full of good stuff for you!!

Love your tablescape. And before I go, thank you for the coconut pie dessert!! Yum.

Lynn said...

Your soups look great BJ, so pretty in the tureen and that coconut pie has me drooling! See you at Soup-A-Palozza:@)

Theresa said...

Hungry here:) Love soup and these look delicious! Gotta have cornbread with soup:)

Enjoy your day my friend! HUGS!

Adrienne said...

Yummmm! Your photos are so wonderfful I think I can smell the soups and the stews!
~Adrienne~

Kathleen Grace said...

I love a good hot bowl of soup in winter. I have my tried and true recipes but I'm ready to try some new ones. Maybe we should have a soup linky party!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Oh my goodness, you're killing me here with all these pictures. I've been so busy all morning and haven't even had breakfast yet and now it's time for lunch. Can I reach in and grab some soup? The cornbread looks so good too!!!

Beverly said...

BJ, you've tempted me so that I could lick my screen. Yum, Yum!

Shug said...

My very favorite meal is a nice warm bowl of soup ~ any kind will do. You are so right about the skillet cornbread...I can just taste my moms cornbread right now. She always cooked it in a big cast iron skillet. You have warmed me up and I love your post!
Thanks BJ...
Hope your day is super Blessed
Shug

Rita said...

What a great post; all your soups are lovely. Soup is on our table everyday for lunch. I am always amazed at all the work you put in your blog.
Good reading.
Rita

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Love soup! Thank you for the history lesson on the Great Depression with the soup lines and the ketchup in hot water. I was reading it to my family. I can't even imagine what they went through...

Carole Burant said...

All of your soups and stews are making me drool, they all look so darn good!! My mom always seemed to have a big pot of soup on the stove and many times it was made with leftovers from the fridge:-) I love making homemade soup as well, my favourites being Chicken Rice soup and Split Pea soup. Like you, I always use broth instead of water and bones with a bit of meat on them.

Breaks my heart to think of anyone going hungry and I can't even imagine how horrible it was during the Depression. We just don't realize how very lucky we are to always have so much food on the table!! xoxo

Laurie at Turner Farm said...

Wow, Wow, Wow, Love this post. Mr. Norm and I could live on soup all winter long. Loving the photos of yours, the look delish!!!!! You always have fabulous YUMS.... Look forward to discovering more.
http://welcometotheturnerfarm.blogspot.com YUM- Top 5 ~ any top 5 that makes your heart smile ~

On Crooked Creek said...

BJ,
Adore your hot soup choices! My all time favorite is a good, creamy potato soup! My Moma's best pie ever was her butterscotch cream. .. M~m~m! The thing about pies On Crooked Creek. . .nobody likes the same kind. So, if you start making pies. . .somebody always ask, "Why didn't you make my favorite?" or you end up making three to four pies for three to four people! NUTS! That's why I seldom make a pie. Haven't had a good pumpkin pie since I can remember. Guess who likes that pie?
"Mr. Ed" has had his cornbread recipe published in a cookbook . . ."MR. Ed's" Famous Cornbread. . .he always made it for the Cub Scout events when we were stationed in Colorado! Thanks for all the fine soups you posted. I made minestrone, minus the pasta, last night!
Fondly,
Pat