FYI

My NEW blog address is
bj-sweetnothings.blogspot.com

and I have a link to where you can receive
SWEET NOTHINGS posts in your EMAIL ACCOUNT.

Please go to the NEW BLOG.
thanks, bj

Thursday, November 11, 2010

AN OLD FASHIONED COOKIE...

I have a brand new BLACK and DECKER hand mixer
that I LUV.....
Super powerful...
beaters
bread dough hooks
whisk...
AWESOME..
*
SHELIA, can you love hand mixers ?
why, you bet your "beat it to a foam", you can !

We all love these little, simple and easy butter cookies so much,
I decided that YOU might like them, too.
Especially, right here at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
*
I got the recipe in 1961 from my mother's best friend,
and I have been making them ever since.
*
SESAME SEED COOKIES

MIX: 
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
*
CREAM TOGETHER:
1 cup soft margarine  (my olden recipe calls it OLEO)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. Vanilla
*
Mix all together and roll into a log in waxed paper..
Put in fridge.
*
When ready to bake a few or the whole batch,
roll into small balls
roll in sesame seeds
Bake 350 for about 10 minutes, or until golden
*
Let cool on rack until cool enough to make a thrumb print.
*
Wait until READY TO SERVE before adding a little of your
very favorite JELLY to the indentions.
...if you add it too soon, the jelly might make the cookie too soft..
**
I almost used POPPY SEED instead of SESAME SEED..
Man, I have to watch my silly self ALL THE TIME...:(
just 'sayin......

golden brown...
all thumbprinted and waiting to be booked...OH NO...
I mean, waiting for JELLY, JAM, PESERVES.
*
At this point, after cooled a little and indented,
is when I put them in bags for the freezer.
Then, when ready to serve, I add my choice of jellies.

They make the prettiest little cookie..
imagine with STRAWBERRY....or BLUEBERRY
even a little GREEN MINT JELLY
**
I am using APRICOT jam here so I can show you how pretty the cookies are...
dang !...that means I have to eat them or they will get....soft....
*
The ABOVE
are my reasons for
MAKING COOKIES....
..and, here's a few more reasons..
*
I am linking with FOODIE FRIDAY
*
My thanks to all the lovely hosts.

29 comments:

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Yum! Yum!! That comment about being thumbprinted... I read it the 2nd time & then got it..:) ( I can be a little slow :)
I have that same recipe & we always called them "Imperial Cookies" for Imperial maragarine...
But I always have rolled them in sugar, not sesame seeds... & I have never added jam... going to go & try yours...they look delicous

Shug said...

I love the looks of those cookies....Gonna have to try um!
Oh, and by the way....I love that bracelet...."Gypsy Girl" that is totally me....

Fun stuff and I love it...
Warm Blessings My Friend...
shug

Brenda Pruitt said...

I sure hope I don't gain weight just by looking over here...
Brenda

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I love your new Black and Decker too! I hope my current one gives out soon, so I can get on like yours!

Your cookies look yummy!!!!
Hugs,
Penny

Julie Harward said...

Your reasons are the best reasons...that is if anyone really needs a reason to make cookies! Thanks for sharing this good recipe..I will try them! ;D

Kathleen Grace said...

These are really pretty. I love the flavor of sesame so tese would be lovely to try. Yes you can love a mixer, when you love making yummy things for your dear family!

Blondie's Journal said...

I love your new mixer...I am going to have to bake a little more to qualify for a new one!! The cookies looks fantastic, my mom made a version of these without the seeds. They were sooo good! I have to try this recipe just for the memories!

XO,
Jane

Theresa said...

Black and Decker makes good stuff:) I will print out this recipe and use it during the Holidays AFTER I lose 5 more pounds! Have a blessed day, HUGS!

Deb said...

They look fabulous and so are YOU! Hugs, Deb =^..^=x5

Sarah said...

BJ, the thumbprint cookies look delicious. I'll want to try this recipe. ~ Sarah

Barb said...

Great reasons for making cookies. What part of West Texas are you from?

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh they look so good. I need to make some. Love your braggin wall and all the pics. Fabulous. Hugs, Marty

Lynn said...

You bet I will be trying these! They look fab, the next time Ma stops by for a cup of coffee I want to whip some up:@)

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

Nice mixer, Beeeej! Did I hear you say you need my address to send cookies??? Thought so!
xoxo

Sue McPeak said...

Hi BJ....Thanks so much for stopping by my Horn of Plenty post today. Of course YOU know about PaloDura Canyon and Thanksgiving...being a Texas Gal and livin' so close. That sure was alot of Texas HornTootin', huh?

Yep, I think Texas Gals can LOVE a Mixer...specially when they LOVE the cookies they help make. LOVE Old Fashioned Cookies...Sue

Deanna said...

Thank you for your dear comment and Miss BJ...when you come to San Antonio, Marshall and I are going to take you and Mr. Sweet to sup at the Tower Restaurant.

Girl, even if you had put Sunflower seeds in 'em, I know they would have been fantastic!

Ooh La La on the new Black and Decket doo-dad!!

Lawdy, I am getting quite chunky from eating all of your goodies!

Deanna :D

The Muse said...

home is filled with the aromas of the season...and those bring memories...!

delightful recipe...i will pass this on :)

Betty said...

Those cookies look yummy and what a beautiful family you have.

Sue said...

I'm back home and trying to catch up a little with my friends! Did you read that I got to meet a blog friend in Florida?

I think you need a package of those sticky white dots that are used as price stickers...make that mixer a polka dot dream!

The cookies look yummy.

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Your cookies look yummy! Looks like you have lots of reasons for baking!
You are really blessed.

Brenda Eason said...

So glad to see your still here and doing your thing. I have missed you.
Brenda

Audrey Pettit said...

These look really, really good! I would never have thought of sesame seeds for cookies. Thanks for sharing!

Love Of Quilts said...

Sesame seeds in cookies will have to try. Thanks for sharing. Trish

Mimi said...

These look delicious and what precious reasons for baking!! Love your new mixer, too!!

Anonymous said...

If I had just one phrase to describe you it would be "love bug" because you are always showing your family all the ways you love them. Bless you for being such a good role model for all of us!

Kathleen said...

They look delicious, BJ! I make thumbprint cookies, but a different recipe.
You are very blessed, and so are all your kids and gkids to have toy!
Have a wonderful weekend!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

BJ, I will be trying out this recipe (I wanna be thumb printed too!). They look so pretty. Your walls of family photos look so pretty too. I love to come over here and see what you've done to your blog. You change things around so often, and I always love what you've done. laurie

Naturally Carol said...

Hi bj, I've never seen these cookies before. I was interested as I saw the jam on top of them and thought they were what we (in Australia) call Jam Drops. They are different because we put the thumbprint in before baking and fill with jam, then the jam gets all caramelised in cooking. If you want to read about Jam Drops, I have a post called "Strawberries & Jam Drops" in October! Good to visit you!

Holly Lefevre said...

THIS IS A NEW TO ME. WHAT A GREAT AND FUN RECIPE.