FYI

My NEW blog address is
bj-sweetnothings.blogspot.com

and I have a link to where you can receive
SWEET NOTHINGS posts in your EMAIL ACCOUNT.

Please go to the NEW BLOG.
thanks, bj

Thursday, May 27, 2010

BEIGNETS...O HONey


Beignets...little FRENCH donuts...

I've posted about them MANY times...

and....I've EATEN them many times...

They are unbelievably wonderful...

and I think they look SOOO good on my
MACKENZIE CHILDS tiered server....
Things not only gotta TASTE delicious...
they MUST look FABULOUS, don't you think?
*
My sweet and beautiful daughter, STACY, brought this
box of BEIGNET MIX to me from her trip to NEW ORLEANS...
**

The first time I made them,
MR. SWEET and I thought we'd DIED and GONE TO HEAVEN...
You just can't imagine how great these are, all warm and covered in POWDERED SUGAR..
with a good strong cup of COFFEE...
***********************************************
Known as the "French Market Doughnut" and the official "Louisiana State Doughnut, a beignet is a square piece of dough, fried and covered with powdered sugar. They are served in orders of three. The Acadians brought beignets to Louisiana. At first, they were fried fritters, sometimes filled with fruit. They are famous in New Orleans and other parts of Louisiana.
Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans (http://www.cafedumonde.com/) is world famous for having the BEST beignet!*taken from the NET
******************************************************
You can order this mix on line at the above address.

*******
This is for everyone that has asked me for a BEIGNET recipe...not using the MIX.

*
MOI doesn't really have a recipe...but....this paticular one belongs to the infamous PAULA DEEN
Her ingredients:

1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 envelope active dry yeast
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup evaporated milk
7 cups bread flour
1/4 cup shortening
Nonstick spray
Oil, for deep-frying
3 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions:
Mix water, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
In another bowl, beat the eggs, salt and evaporated milk together. Mix egg mixture to the yeast mixture. In a separate bowl, measure out the bread flour. Add 3 cups of the flour to the yeast mixture and stir to combine. Add the shortening and continue to stir while adding the remaining flour. Remove dough from the bowl, place onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray. Put dough into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a towel. Let rise in a warm place for at least 2 hours.
Preheat oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F.
Add the confectioners' sugar to a paper or plastic bag and set aside.
Roll the dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness and cut into 1-inch squares. Deep-fry, flipping constantly, until they become a golden color. After beignets are fried, drain them for a few seconds on paper towels, and then toss them into the bag of confectioners' sugar. Hold bag closed and shake to coat evenly.
**********

NOW....there IS an easier way to enjoy these sweet treats much FASTER...
Not the same yeasty flavor...not exactly the same texture...
but, very good, nevertheless....
*
BEIGNET PUFFS
A cup to 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1 level teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
*
Mix with milk until stiff enuf dough (but LIKE THE BISCUITS, not TOO stiff ) to roll 1/4" and cut into squares ...I sometimes just use
a round cookie cutter 'cause it's so much faster... *NOTE..check to see if there's such a thing as a SQUARE cookie cutter...bet there IS !)
**
Fry in hot oil, turning to brown evenly, until a nice golden delicious brown...
After I drain them, I toss them into a ziplock bag with that luscious, lip-smackin' powdered sugar...
**
and, may i just say that i am so hungry for one right this very minute, i could die!!...
again, these "puffs" aren't the same as the wonderful and magnificent BEIGNETS...
NO WAY !
**
But.....they ARE good for a quick sweety snack....

*

If you make some tonight...think of me when you have that powdered sugar all over your mouth!!

LINKING WITH:
FOODIE FRIDAY
*************************
LOVE, bj

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi BJness! Yummy! I love me some beignets! I've eaten them at Cafe' Du Monde and they do just melt in your most tiny mouth! Yours looks just a good and are much more beautiful sitting on your pretty MC plate! Yum!
There's a place in Houston that makes these beignets too and they're pretty terrific.
Oh, I made your biscuit recipe and we fell in love with it! I've made them three times! :) You are the best cook.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sandi McBride said...

being the good Catholic Girl that I am, I make these every Fat Tuesday! Then I make them again at the closing of Lent (just to show everyone what rewards await those who are good, lol). It's a family tradition that goes back generations...thank you for sharing these wonderful little pillows of love with the world! BJ, you are a doll!
hugs
Sandi

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

BJ,
They are yummy! My daughter and I used to order them at a restaurant in Chicago on Michigan Ave,(Grand Lux) when I would go visit her in college. They served them with a cream, chocolate sauce and a raspberry sauce.
xo
Robin

Shelly said...

This reminds me of a trip to New Orleans that I took with the French Club in highschool (many years ago!). We had beignets for breakfast at a little cafe every morning....yuuuummmmy. I will definitely try your recipe and maybe order a box of mix for my shelf! And I will think of you when the powdered sugar is not only all over my face, but my clothes, my chair, my floor....haha!

Unknown said...

They are equally as dee-lish as Krispy Kremes! We love them & always get them when in New Orleans ...

Well, since I don't have either right now & my mouth is watering I am going out to the fridge & getting a piece of my Better Than Sex Cake, right now! Seriously, I am ...

Have a safe & lovely Memorial holiday weekend.
TTFN ~Hugs, Marydon

Julie Harward said...

Your beignets are making my mouth water!!! They do look so pretty on the dish! Thanks for the recipe too, I can't wait to make them...YUM! Come say hi :D

Sue said...

I'm glad I decided to try to get back to some blogging before you left on your trip. I love beignets and I've often used that same mix. I still remember having them in New Orleans...dreamy. I can almost smell them from here.

Sue

GLORIA'S STORY said...

I have never heard of beignets. But, I have never been to New Orleans. WOW!! they look like they could just melt in your month. Stealing the recipes.
Thank you.

Salmagundi said...

Oh yes!!! I've eaten them at Cafe Du Monde and they are to die for. Now I'm hungry for them, and must try one of your recipes!! Sally

Kathleen said...

Oh they look delicious..and the way you describe them is wonderful!

Helen said...

Oh, I certainly remember my 'first time' .... in Houston, TX in a tiny little cafe!

Anonymous said...

Oh ya babe, they are sinfully delicious! Did you know you can also buy them in Disneyland? Yes...in New Orleans Square. There are some shops right around the Pirates of the Caribbean ride that sells that same yummy, wonderful box of Cafe' Du Monde beignet mix.
Bon Appetite!
Marcia

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

BJ,
You are killing me! I am so hungry right now that I could eat my keyboard. You make these beignets look so yummy.

Go ahead and enjoy.

hugs
Sissie

Sue said...

OMG, but the mouth is watering up here in Ohio!! I am watching what I eat these days.... Yup- no goodies for me. wah wah wah... So you enjoy them for me, ok? Love the Mackenzie Childs server...
hugs, Sue

Sarah said...

BJ, this is one of my favorite things with piles of powdered sugar. Yum! Love the CC triple tier server!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

bj, you are just the cutest...and those look delicious! I have never tried them...I am such a fatty any more! EVERYTHING I eat goes directly to my rear end!

However....I really do think I must give these a go..yep...I do!
Hugs,
Mona

Renée said...

These are so pretty! Is there any way to preserve them? I just want them for my centerpiece. Actually, I don't think I could hold out...they would be gone for sure!

The Charm of Home said...

These looks heavenly! Wonderful on that tiered server. I also love your sunflower plate in the background. Have a great weekend!

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

Yummy! I can almost taste them myself!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

I was noticing that your cruise date is almost "around the corner." And now you have a great new Header, concerning that. :-)

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Oh my Dear, I do believe that your blog is becoming *An Occasion Of Sin*! -giggggles- [Does anyone remember them? The old *Occasions Of Sin,* which we used to get drummed into our heads?]

Well, anyway... I'm not still into such stuff. But! Your blog!!! The gorgeously tempting food you photograph and post! Oh me, oh my, oh mercy! Such TEMPTATION!

-giggggles-

susan said...

BJ-I have bought but never tried the mix--somehow I just know I will be disappointed. Nothing beats Cafe' Du Monde! I am sure the fun and bustling atmosphere helps. I saw your biscuit recipe and it is on my "to do" list! Have a great MD weekend!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Happy Memorial Weekend my friend…Hugs and Smiles Gl♥ria

Lyndee said...

I think these were the memorable delights I ate one morning at an outside market down near the water about 38 years ago in New Orleans! One of my pleasureable memories of that city now being rebuilt.

I posted a couple more stories on my Storyweaver blog. Thanks for the coffee and beignet. I copied the recipes!

Damaris said...

YYUUMM!! Thank you11 XXOO

Mary Bergfeld said...

bj, this was a terrific post! I love beignets and your photos of them are wonderful. My breakfast coffee looks quite naked now :-) Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Rettabug said...

♫ ♫ I can't hear you...I can't hear you ♫ ♫
I've got my fingers in my ears & my eyes closed tight so I'm not tempted any more by this magnificent post, BJ!! You are NOT helping me stay on track one little bit. LOL

We eaten beignets at the little outside tables at Cafe Du Monde & they are TDF!! Brought home a box of the mix, which we used up long ago. I am sorely tempted to order another one. You are an evil temptress...a bad influence...and a wonderful friend! LOL ;-p

♥ your pretty MC plate!

Rhondi said...

All I can say is YUMMY!!