FYI

My NEW blog address is
bj-sweetnothings.blogspot.com

and I have a link to where you can receive
SWEET NOTHINGS posts in your EMAIL ACCOUNT.

Please go to the NEW BLOG.
thanks, bj

Thursday, November 12, 2009

COMFORT FOODS ROCK !!

FRIDAY.. the 13TH
****
FRIDAY THE 13TH - how is fear of the number thirteen demonstarted?

More than 80 percent of high-rises lack a 13th floor.
Many airports skip the 13th gate.
Airplanes have no 13th aisle.
Hospitals and hotels regularly have no room number 13.
Italians omit the number 13 from their national lottery.
On streets in Florence, Italy, the house between number 12 and 14 is addressed as 12 and a half.
Many cities do not have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue
In France, socialites known as the quatorziens (fourteeners) once made themselves available as 14th guests to keep a dinner party from an unlucky fate.
Many triskaidekaphobes, as those who fear the unlucky integer are known, point to the ill-fated mission to the moon, Apollo 13.
If you have 13 letters in your name, you will have the devil's luck . Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all have 13 letters in their names !!
...........
BUT.....
"You are blessed and highly favored...shine today in who you are."
AMEN to that !!
;O)
**
ahhhh....FRIDAY....the most delicious time of the week...
MICHAEL is our beautiful host for FOODIE FRIDAY...
Thanks so much for stopping by...don't forget to see foods at DESIGNS BY GOLLUM
and check out the awesome list she has of other great cooks..
***
SOUTHERN CORNBREAD....
thin....crisp...buttery...NO SUGAR ADDED !!
**
Both Mr. Sweet and I grew up on this kind of cornbread...made in a cast iron skillet that's been seasoned well...
We like ours thinner than a lot of people because we both LOVE crispy !!
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
a couple table spoons of melted shortening or bacon drippings, butter
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
enough milk to make a nice thick batter..(I LOVE Buttermilk Cornbread so this is what I use)
***
Pour into HOT skillet that has a tad bit of shortening melted..
Cook at 425 for about 30 minutes...
We use a huge cast iron skillet so it will make the cornbread thinner...If you like it thick, use
a smaller skillet...
***
A Crock Pot Beef Stew
which my mother used to call ICE BOX STEW...she used all the leftovers to make this soup at the end of most weeks...
I love making enough to be able to freeze a bag or two for a cold winter's night....without all the work!! WooHoo..
***

Do any of you have an old cookbook like the one above in the left corner? I have used this little yellow cookbook for over 45 years and I've written so many recipes down in it...like "Grandma's Coconut and Banana pies..Grandmother's Chocolate Pie recipe"....

This is one of the things that I would grab if my house caught fire and I had to save myself !! ;>)

I know it may sound silly...I am a silly, silly girl...but when I make this
Coconut Pie that Mr. Sweet's mother made for us so many years ago, I can just almost....almost..
feel her in the kitchen with me...smiling and telling me I'm doing good..!! O, I do love that feeling, too.
**

HERE'S a piece....just for YOU !!
I'll post this recipe soon....
***************************
My thankfulness for 30 DAYS OF THANKSGIVING
I am thankful that both Mr. Sweet and I were blessed with the best parents ever.
They were Christians, kind, understanding and supportive...not saying they didn't discipline us when we needed it.
I just didn't need it too often ! ha ha AND ha !!

"We don't remember days.......we remember moments."

32 comments:

ellen b said...

Oh girl! It totally slipped by me that it is Friday the 13th! I so want to come to your house and eat these great comfort foods!!

Connie said...

My favorite pie is coconut but in Puerto Vallarta I was introduced to pineapple pie and it was delicious too, sweetpea!!

However, if my house caught fire I'd grab our computers before anything else. Love Bunny understands he's a very close 2nd though!!! ;-)

xoxo,
Connie

Sue said...

Coconut pie is one of my favorites and my husband doesn't like it. So, I don't make it. I order it out once in a while, but it is hard to find good pie. Yours looks delicious. Sue

Sandi McBride said...

Wow BJ, now I'm hungry for all that good cooking and its near bedtime! I like my cornbread done in my iron skillet, too...and I have a spider for fried cornbread which is my boys favorite. And you're right, no sugar in the cornbread!!!
Sandi

Joyce said...

Wow you certainly have been one busy cook and baker. I had no idea in Italy that they used 12 1/2 instead of #13. Intersting.
Joyce

Nancy Jane said...

Everything looks wonderful, especially that pie, and what a treasure your cookbook is...

CC said...

Never,never sugar in cornbread.. and yours looks so good. *deep sighs and that coconut pie..*even deeper sighs..:). I would sure like to have some of either...specially I loved the sweet memory you shared with us. You're such a lovely person,I can't imagine anyone ever being mean to you. You're a real sweetie..

Anonymous said...

yummmmmmmm. I never thought about making the cornbread thinner ... I'll move up a skillet and try it. I love my iron skillets. They're heavy though. Neat about the memories and thoughts. I wrote about the pressure cooker and childhood memories some time back. I count them as blessings! :) Jenn

Simple Home said...

I collect old cookbooks, aren't they wonderful? RussMyHoney was born on Friday the 13th, so to me it's a lucky day! I love your post.
Blessings,
Marcia

Natasha in Oz said...

Wow, that pie looks so delicious. I don't think I have had coconut pie before...I am going to have to do something about that asap!
Hope you have been well and have a wonderful weekend.
Best wishes always, Natasha.

Kathleen Grace said...

Food is so closely associated with loved ones (if they cooked!). The smell of food cooking or baking can bring back memories of those who spent time in the kitchen making something special for us. My grandmother was the best cook ever. My memories of her center around spending time with her in the farmhouse kitchen. Frying chicken, making bread (and butter!), and all the good things she made. I dont think it's silly at all to feel as if Mr. Sweets mother is ther with you when you make her special pie:>)

SmilingSally said...

I'd happily have that piece of pie, BJ; if only my arms were longer, I could reach it!

Our closing is the 14th. After that, I'll get painters in for two or three days, so moving day should be the the 17th or 18th. That's too late for me to decorate for Christmas this year. I think I'll put a wreath on the door and a nativity scene on a table and call it "done."

Justine said...

Waaaaaaaa!~ I want the recipe for that stew! And ooh girl, I wish I had a non-rusted cast iron skillet, 'cause I'd love to try that cornbread recipe.

Where DID this whole fear of the #13 stem from? You did all the research and didn't tell us WHY we don't like it! Me wants to know!

Justine :o )

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! You have such an awesome plethora of information (really enjoyed all of the Friday the 13th stuff and then it jumps in to yummy cornbread!)

Anonymous said...

Hi BJ! I'm safe my name has 14 letters! Cute post. Now I just absolutely love pies and this is making my mouth water!! Must try the cornbread recipe with the chili I'm making for tonight! I just purchased a new recipe box to put all my favorites from Mom/Grandma so I guess I'll remember to grab that now!lol Have a nice weekend - Sincerely, Jeannette

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

Yikes, I just counted and hubby and I BOTH have 13 letters!!!! Good thing we gave our daughter a shorter name LOL. I can't wait to try the cornbread, I just got a wonderful, huge old cast iron skillet at Goodwill!

Dena said...

Morning BJ,

I didn't even realize it was Friday the 13! Goodness, at the rate I am going, it's a good thing I realize the month I am in! LOL! Your cornbread looks so yummy. I wish I had a little sliver with my coffee this morning :)

Hugs,
Dena

Barbara said...

BJ, The more food you show, the more I think I will just take a Short Texas Drive to visit you and be sure I am there around meal time.
Cornbread look delicious and stew does also.

Barbara

Katherine Ann said...

Look delicious!!! I have to try that cornbread! Thank you for sharing!!!

The Fajdich Times said...

Thanks for stopping by. Just have to love Comfort foods! Everything looks wonderful. I like the idea of doing the cornbread thin. Love that coconut pie. I love your very well preserved recipe book. That is where you will find the best recipes! Have a great weekend:)

Mary Bergfeld said...

Now with the feast you've prepared for us, how could anyone consider the 13th to be unlucky. What a lovely post, bj.

My Slice of Heaven said...

I posted a recipe for crockpot cornbread today and admit I usually don't make the cornbread homemade. Your recipe sounds good and it's simple so I think I might try it!

Betty said...

Wonderful memories BJ, when I am in my garden or when I am canning it is that same feeling I have about my Mom. I put another recipe in my BJ's section.
Have a great weekend.

You had me checking my name, first my maiden name since it is longer I first of it, nope only 12 then I did my full married name...13.

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Look at those yummies! Mmm, mmm, mmm!
As for 13. It's a lucky number for me. I do have 13 letters in my name (maiden) and my youngest child was born on the 13 and he is is just awesome! :0). I really enjoyed reading those "factoids" about #13 and had myself a good chuckle. I can't say I like being in the company of those "evil doers" though. shudder!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Looks good BJ! I never cook one of my mother's recipes without feeling her stand beside me!:-)

Beverly said...

You've made me hungry. I love cornbread - and I love coconut pie. May I have some of each?

Amy said...

Okay, I have to say I am so happy you found my blog. I LOVE coming here. Your posts always have a bit of nostalgia in them and make me want to be June Cleaver all over again! Thank you thank you thank you!

Brenda Eason said...

Oh wow two of my favorite. Pie and cornbread =) I did say that right because id have my pie first lol. This is a pie my mom alot because it is my dads favorite!

Solange Belém said...

Olá, conheci esse blog quase que por acaso, e simplesmente gostei muito.
Hummm...Achei as receitas, fáceis e devem ser gostosas também, parabéns.
Pretendo voltar mais vezes, e hoje levo a receita (com farinha de milho), vou fazer e depois eu posto a foto.

Hugs

Sol

jeanne said...

Oh yeah, Friday the 13th. Can you tell I am not afraid of anything '13' I am a no nonsense kind of gal. I do not believe in ghosts either. I believe in Jesus as our savior and God our father. OK, off the soap box.

Lets talk about cornbread and pie. I like my cornbread to be sweet. (Johnny cake) I can't help it, I am just a d... Yankee who was raised in the South. HA! I do not like sugar in my tea. I hope you still love me BJ. My family in MI. consider me totally Southern. We mioved to Fl. in 1948.

Now for that pie. You know I want a piece of everything you bake. You are the best baker.

I am staying home this weekend. No football and I am sick with a terrible head cold. Yuck!!!

Have a great weekend BJ.

Love and hugs xoxo, Jeanne

My Slice of Heaven said...

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know about the mistake on the sweet potato rum nut casserole. It's fixed now! Take care, Anita

Kathleen said...

What a treasure that cook book is!
And your comfort foods look wonderful..
Loved the cowboy hat on the groom and the boots on DH..SWEET!