FYI

My NEW blog address is
bj-sweetnothings.blogspot.com

and I have a link to where you can receive
SWEET NOTHINGS posts in your EMAIL ACCOUNT.

Please go to the NEW BLOG.
thanks, bj

Sunday, March 16, 2008

DOUBLE POST TODAY ~

Saint Patrick's Day (Irish: Lá ’le Pádraig or Lá Fhéile Pádraig), colloquially St. Paddy's Day or Paddy's Day, is an annual feast day which celebrates Saint Patrick (circa 385–461 AD), one of the patron saints of Ireland, and is generally celebrated on March 17. Some call it St. PATTY'S Day when in actuality, it is
St. PADDY'S Day.

SEVERAL people had asked about St. Patrick's Day being celebrated on the 15th this year instead of the usual March 17th...this is what I googled.....
*************************
The date of the feast is occasionally moved by church authorities when March 17 falls during Holy Week; this happened in 1940 when Saint Patrick's Day was observed on 3 April in order to avoid it coinciding with Palm Sunday, and is happening again in 2008, being observed on 15 March (though the State holiday in Ireland is not affected).[2] March 17 will not fall during Holy Week again until 2160.

5 comments:

Anita said...

Very interesting... wish I would haev known before Sunday morning... lol

Cottage Contessa said...

Happy St Paddy's Day BJ! Hope you have a wonderful week sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Betty said...

I thought St. Patrick's Day was on the 17th this year. I'm confused, but of course, it doesn't take much to confuse me. LOL

Adrienne said...

Thanks for the explanation. I was planning to search for the reason but you've cleared it up. I couldn't figure it out. ~Adrienne~

BittersweetPunkin said...

I forgot about it totally!